AAP revises breastfeeding policy

The American Academy of Pediatrics has a new policy statement on breastfeeding. It is interesting to note that the biggest obstacle to breastfeeding in the US is people's attitudes. Here's the policy statement conclusion:
Although economic, cultural, and political pressures often confound decisions about infant feeding, the AAP firmly adheres to the position that breastfeeding ensures the best possible health as well as the best developmental and psychosocial outcomes for the infant. Enthusiastic support and involvement of pediatricians in the promotion and practice of breastfeeding is essential to the achievement of optimal infant and child health, growth, and development.

My mother always insists on pestering me about giving my babies extra this or that because she's convinced that exclusively breastfeeding can't really give babies all of the nutrition they need. This despite the fact that my boys pretty much hung out above the curve on the growth chart when they were babies and their little sister seems to be doing the same.

I've also had more than one woman come up to me while I was discretely nursing a baby in public to offer me her encouragement. Not everybody is prejudiced against breastfeeding.

Hat tip TulipGirl.

Comments

Popular Posts

What's in a flower?

Treating autism as traumatic brain injury

Battlestar Galactica needs more colour?