Wicked winter weather

There'll be snow in this city before the day is through. There are already reports of snow fall at the airport north of town. I'm spending the morning rounding up all of the kids' winter gear, hats, mittens, scarves, and what not. I'm embroidering their names on them so they won't get lost in the shuffle at school. Ethan came home yesterday with someone else's hat in his bag.

There's been plenty of snow up north in the snowbelt on the Tug Hill Plateau but there has also been really warm weather in these parts. We usually get plenty of significant snowfall before mid-November but there's been nothing so far this winter. One winter Syracuse got over 30 inches of snow in November alone. I got frost bite that winter.

Oh, we have our own special kind of snow up here courtesy of our proximity to the Great Lakes called lake effect. It's one of the first things you learn about when you first move to Syracuse. Locals (and I've lived here long enough to count as one) can easily distinguish between a lake effect snow fall and a regular snow fall. It was nearly 30 years ago that a lake effect blizzard buried much of western New York.

I'm tempted to wax poetical about some of the winter weather events that I've lived through in my few short years on this planet but I'll save those for another time. I think we're about due for another spectacular snow season. Any body care to guess as to when, where, and how many inches?

Comments

Popular Posts

What's in a flower?

Treating autism as traumatic brain injury

Battlestar Galactica needs more colour?