Blogging while pregnant: It's almost over

Allow me to indulge in a bit of somewhat literal navel gazing.

Things I Really Look Forward to Once I Give Birth

Running, I actually miss being able to chase my kids down the block when they escape the house or take off down the driveway instead of getting into the car like I told them to.

The return of full bladder capacity. Things aren't as bad as they were with my first two pregnancies. I can get away with only having to wake 2 or 3 times a night to go to the bathroom (as opposed to 4, 5, or 6 times). But I hate coming out of a nice deep sleep to struggle out of bed and hobble off to the bathroom. (Way back when I was a novice I used to keep an accurate count of how many times I had to trudge to the bathroom at night when pregnant but I soon realised that it was much better to try not to be fully awake for the late night potty trips because I was more likely to get more sleep in that way.)

The return of full lung capacity. I hate huffing and puffing after just walking from one end of the house to the other. It's not that big.

The return of full stomach capacity and (please God, please) the departure of my lactose intolerance. Life without butter is not fun and having to take a pill any time I want to butter my toast tends to rob me of the joy of it all.

An uninterrupted night's sleep. I know it probably won't come for at least 6 months to a year after junior is born and even then there is no guarantee that it will happen on a regular basis but a girl can dream can't she?

Sleeping on my stomach. All the experts say you're not supposed to sleep on your stomach but it's comfortable! I really miss it.

Being able to lay on my back and rest something on my stomach without having to keep an eye on it so it doesn't "accidentally" go flying. It's amazing how strongly a baby can kick in utero. I once nearly lost a meal to one of the boys kicking before they were born.

Being able to put socks and shoes on quickly. One of the things I like about being pregnant in the summer is the fact that shoes are 1). not always necessary, 2). easier to put on than cold weather shoes.

Being able to sit/stand/walk without getting a backache. I've had back problems in the past but my previous pregnancies have either helped fixed the problem or not effected the problem much at all. This time around junior seems intent on trying to lay me out with crippling muscle spasms.

Now don't get me wrong, pregnancy and motherhood are wonderful experiences. They are just not for the faint of heart or weak willed. At 34 weeks and 4 days into my third pregnancy I marvel at my friends who have done this 7, 8, 9 and as many as 12 times. Whatever idiot that claimed women were the weaker sex obviously never met women like my friends.

I have another friend who (God bless her) always marvels at how fit and healthy I look. She reminds me that things could be much worse, as in rather than my desperately plotting ways to be in bed with my feet up I could be in the position of desperately wishing I didn't have to stay in bed with my feet up.

Comments

Popular Posts

What's in a flower?

Treating autism as traumatic brain injury

Battlestar Galactica needs more colour?