Let's Get Ready to Rumble

"Both sides had get-out-the-vote armies primed for action, plus lawyers deployed across the country ready to throw any photo finish into court at the first sign of polling-place irregularities." MSNBC News Services
Updated: 3:54 p.m. ET Nov. 1, 2004


As I sit here at my desk, putting things away and tidying up in preparation for emancipation from the daily bondage of the 9 to 5 (which we all know usually ends up to be more like 6) world, a small, and frankly annoying, voice whispers to me, "Get your game face on." Do I play a team sport? No, generally I do not play well with others. Do I play and individual sport? No, I tend to lack the coordination skills necessary. So what do I need to get a game face on for? The game of Survivor: Polls of Fury, set to be played tomorrow on a nationwide level.

In light of the "well, it could happen" mentality that seems to have gotten seriously out of hand, a quasi techno-phobic, non-people (and might I add anti-morning) person, like myself, has a lot to worry about. The biggest concern being that my inability to be technical at 6 a.m. under any circumstances combined with my serious loathing of putting up with large groups of people, may result in a "polling place irregularity." As my life tends to at times be an example of Murphy's Law in practice, I am worried.

So as I prepare to join the rest of the working people in a mass exodus from the land of bondage (also known as Midtown) I will take heed to that small shrill voice, and go home to spend hours in front of the mirror practicing that oft elusive pleasant face. I will also be fervently praying that I do not have any technical issues using the machines tomorrow and then get stuck with chipper techno-genius super Dave as my helper because things may end badly... for him. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular Posts

What's in a flower?

Treating autism as traumatic brain injury

Battlestar Galactica needs more colour?