Death of a Legend

Rosa Parks died yesterday at the ripe old age of 92. Just a few weeks short of the 50th anniversary of that fateful bus ride which sparked a boycott that brought Jim Crow to its knees. When I was a kid I would watch the PBS documentary Eyes on the Prize (wiki entry) every year during Black History month. I will always remember the footage of those empty buses making their rounds through deserted streets. All of it started by one woman. Every time I get on a bus I look down its length with the knowledge that I can take any free seat I want because of what Rosa Parks started. I wonder if I would have had the courage to do the same not knowing what the consequences of my actions would be. Thank God for Rosa Parks.

Rosa Parks 1913-2005
Rosa Parks is dead at 92
Remembering the Original Rosa Parks

Comments

Popular Posts

What's in a flower?

Treating autism as traumatic brain injury

Battlestar Galactica needs more colour?