Plundering the Egyptians

I made costumes for the kids tonight. I'm not a big fan of Halloween. In fact I'll be glad when the Sci Fi channel gets back to science fiction after the glut of bad monster/zombie films that they have been playing lately. But the kids like dressing up. Since we watched Prince of Egypt a gazillion times this summer and since Ethan has been carrying around a stick demanding that various friends, family members and inanimate objects let his people go I decided to dress the kids up as characters from the Exodus story in the Bible. Ethan gets to be Moses since he's the one with the stick. Isaiah gets to be Aaron since he's a brother and all. Sophia had a choice of being either Miriam or Zipporah and she chose to be Zipporah. That leaves me as Miriam I guess. I suggested to hubby that he could be Jethro, Zipporah's father, but his only response was, "I have to teach tomorrow."

I riffled through my stash of fabric and clothes to find something to make costumes out of. Isaiah is a bit unpredictable with his reaction to clothing so I had to find something that was quick and easy to make and likely to stay on him for awhile. I ended up making simple robes for the boys out of some red mystery fabric I got from Sis2 a while back. Sophia got a similar robe out of a scrap of red poly shiffon I had left over from a dance costume I made. A few of hubby's t-shirts will be pressed into service as tunics to go under the robes. I've got a red north African dress/robe that I've been looking for an excuse to wear ever since I bought so that will be coming out of the closet tomorrow.

There will be a parade at the boys' school tomorrow to show off the kids costumes. I don't remember schools making such a big deal about Halloween when I was a kid. It's even a half day! I guess Halloween is the one safe holiday that schools can celebrate now with out worrying about offending someone or getting sued. Or maybe it's just our school. I don't know. I do know that I've had enough spiders, black cats, bats, and spooky ghosts to last me for quite a while.

Tomorrow after school is over we'll take the kids to make the rounds at the college offices that will be passing out candy to any staff kids who show up. It will be our first Halloween begging for candy experience. Since we'll be dressed as ancient Hebrews though I prefer to think of it as plundering the Egyptians the way the ancient Hebrews did before they left Egypt.

33The Egyptians were urgent with the people to send them out of the land in haste. For they said, "We shall all be dead." 34So the people took their dough before it was leavened, their kneading bowls being bound up in their cloaks on their shoulders. 35The people of Israel had also done as Moses told them, for they had asked the Egyptians for silver and gold jewelry and for clothing. 36And the LORD had given the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they let them have what they asked. Thus they plundered the Egyptians.
Exodus 12:33-36 (ESV)

I can just hear Ethan or Sophia asking, "Mommy can we go plunder the Egyptians?"

Comments

  1. Tell me you have this on film!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can arrange for it to be on film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do what you need to do film, photo, something cause this is too cute to miss

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

What's in a flower?

Treating autism as traumatic brain injury

Battlestar Galactica needs more colour?